I am an ice cream lover. Ice cream might be the best thing ever invented (or a close tie with macarons). I would eat ice cream outside in the snow while crying about how cold it is – actually last year I ate maple ice cream while visiting Vermont in zero degree weather. One time I even asked my boyfriend these questions about me and got the following answers:
- What makes me happy?
- What makes me sad?
Not having ice cream
There were a few more before I told him no more answers can be about ice cream.
For some reason, I decided the first ice cream recipe I would try to come up with is a no churn mint cookies ‘n’ cream ice cream recipe. I have no idea why this was the random flavor I chose, but I’m glad because the recipe ended up being perfection! I made it three times – the first batch came out great, but I just wanted to
double triple check everything. Or maybe I just wanted to have three batches to eat because I am a little bit obsessed with this recipe. I’m not even a big mint fan, but now I’m on a mint kick.
Feel free to opt out of using the green food dye. I used just enough for a light green tint. For some reason I feel like mint ice cream isn’t mint unless it is green! When I was younger I was always suspicious that I might take a bite of non-green mint ice cream and find out it is just plain old vanilla.
The great thing about this recipe is it is so simple. You just crush up some Oreos, whip up some heavy cream, and then stir both of those with sweetened condensed milk. The hardest part might be waiting for it to harden up a bit. Next time I make this, I don’t know if it will last long enough to get that hard ice cream texture because my boyfriend is such a fan…
The basic base (is that repetitive?) for a no churn ice cream is simple: whipped cream + sweetened condensed milk + flavor. The first time I tried a recipe like this was this Skinny Cake Batter No Churn Ice Cream, which my boyfriend and I devoured. I don’t know who first came up with this idea, but they are a genius! There are so many options without even needing a ice cream maker. Even if you have an ice cream maker, you can be lazy like me and just give in to these ridiculously simple recipes! Why would I want to plan ahead to freeze my ice cream maker when this tastes soooo good without one?!
No Churn Mint Cookies ‘n’ Cream Ice Cream
Makes about 1.5 quarts
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 6-8 drops green food color (optional)
- 2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 package Oreos (I always use double stuffed)
- Take about 14 Oreos and crush them. I used a plastic bag and a spoon and left bigger chunks because I like those in my ice cream.
- Put the heavy cream, green food dye, peppermint extract, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer.
Note: I would start light on the food color because you can always add more in at any point in this recipe, but you can’t tone it down. Or feel free to opt out of the green color all together!
- Mix on medium-high speed for about 3-5 minutes, until you reach a thick consistency of whipped cream.
- Pour in the sweetened condensed milk and fold in with a rubber spatula.
- At this point if you want a minty-er taste or darker color you can add a few more drops of either and fold it in!
- Fold in the crushed Oreos.
- Put the ice cream in a container in the freezer and let harden overnight (I use leftover talenti containers or a reusable ice cream quart I picked up on clearance at Marshalls)